Mirabai Chanu is an Indian women weightlifter. She is Olympic Silver Medalist. Her Biography, Age, Height, Family, Husband Name and Career information is shared in this post. Mirabai began getting recognition at a very young age as she had won many local tournaments. She is awarded with Padma Shri and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. Finishing the Tokyo Olympics 2020 event with a total lift of 202 kg under women’s 49 kg category, she has become the first Indian weightlifter to win a silver medal at the Olympic Games.
Mirabai Chanu Biography/Wiki
|Full Name||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu|
|Nick Name||Mirabai Chanu|
|Date of Birth||8 August 1994 (Monday)|
|Age||27 (As of 2021)|
|Weight (approx.)||49 Kg|
|Coach||Vijay Sharma & Aaron Horschig|
|Birth Place||Nongpok Kakching (Imphal East, Manipur, India)|
|Home Town||Nongpok Kakching (Imphal East, Manipur, India)|
|Profession||Weightlifter (Olympic Silver Medalist) |
(2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics in Women’s 49 kg)
Mirabai Chanu Height
|Height||4 Feet 11 inches|
Mirabai Chanu Achievements
|Olympics||Silver – Tokyo Olympics (2020)|
|World Championships||Gold – Anaheim, United States (2017)|
|Common Wealth Games||Gold – Gold Coast (2018)|
Silver – Glasgow (2014)
|Asian Championships||Silver – Tashkent, Uzbekistan (2020)|
|National Championships||Gold – Kolkata, India (2020)|
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award (2018)
- Padma Shri (2018)
- ₹50 lakh from the Government of India For winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹1 crore from the Government of Manipur and appointment as Additional Superintendent of Police (Sports) in the Manipur State Police for winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹2 crore from the Ministry of Railways and promotion in the Northeast Frontier Railway for winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹25 lakh from the Government of Manipur for participating in the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹10 lakh from the Government of Manipur for qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹20 lakh from the Government of Manipur for winning the gold medal in the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships.
Mirabai Chanu Personal Life
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Food Habit||Non Vegetarian|
|Favorite Food||Pizza & Indian Cuisine|
|Hobbies||Travelling & Listening Peaceful Music|
Mirabai Chanu Husband Name
At present Mirabai Chanu is unmarried.
|Father||Saikhom Kriti Meitei|
(Employee at Public Works Department)
|Mother||Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima |
|Sister||Saikom Rangita, Saikhom Shaya|
|Brother||Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei|
Mirabai Chanu Lifestory & Career
- Mirabai Chanu is an Indian woman weightlifter born on 8th August 1994 in Imphal East, Manipur, India.
- She belongs to a humble middle class family and is the youngest of 5 siblings.
- Her family identified her strength through an incident when she was just 12. One odd day her family saw her easily carrying a huge bundle of firewood home when her elder brother found it hard to lift it up and carry over his head.
- From that day she decided to be a weightlifter and started her training.
- In 2007, Mirabai joined Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal, where she was trained under coach Anita Chanu.
- In many of her interviews, Mirabai has said that her inspiration in sports is Kunjarani Devi (Woman Weightlifter), a 7-time World Championships Silver-medalist, Arjuna Awardee and National coach.
- Mirabai Chanu became the only Indian woman weightlifter to qualify for the 2020 Summer Olympics.
- After years of struggle she won the silver medal in 49 kg division at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo with a total lift of 202 kg.
- After winning the silver medal she humbly tanked everyone through a tweet in which she wrote
Its really a dream come true for me. I would like to dedicate this medal to my country and would like to thank the billion prayers of all Indians which were with me during this journey. I like to thank my family especially my mother for a lot of sacrifices and believing in me. Also special thanks to our government for supporting me, Ministry of Sports, SAI, IOA, Weightlifting Federation of India, Railways, OGQ, sponsors and my marketing agency IOS for their continuous support in this journey. I would like to give special thanks to my coach Vijay Sharma sir and support staff for their continuous hardwork, motivation and training. Thank you once again entire weightlifting fraternity and all my countrymen. JAI HIND.
FAQ about Mirabai Chanu
Q. What is Mirabai Chanu's height in feet ? A. 4 Feet 11 inches
Q. What is Mirabai Chanu's Instagram Id ? A. mirabai_chanu
Q. What is Mirabai Chanu's Twitter Id ? A. @mirabai_chanu
Q. What is Mirabai Chanu's age ? A. 27 Years (As of 2021)
Q. What is Mirabai Chanu's husband name ? A. N/A
- Abhishek Jain aka The IIM GUY Biography, Age & Lifestory
- Andrea Kevichusa (Anek Actress) Biography, Age, Height, Boyfriend & Movies
- Alika Bhatt (YouTuber) Biography, Age, Husband name, Lifestory & More
- Esha Shetty (YouTuber) Biography, Age, Height, Sister, Boyfriend & Lifestory
- Sarah Sarosh (YouTuber) Biography, Age, Height, Husband & More
- Jinal Inamdar (YouTuber) Biography, Age, Husband Name, Height & QnA